If you’re a game lover you could be wondering how to play PS4 on your laptop with HDMI. This can be a tricky thing to do, especially if you don’t know the different ways of converting your laptop into a screen for gameplay.
For gameplay to be displayed on your laptop screen, you need a laptop with a video input and most laptops have an HDMI port that is a unidirectional, not two-way connection. Both the HDMI ports on the PS4 and your laptop are output ports, so the only way you can play PS4 on your laptop with HDMI is either through a capture card or streaming service or remote play.
Other things you can do with your PS4
Share videos and screenshots
Press the share button on your controller then go to the share and broadcast settings then share button control type and click easy screenshots
Manage your friends
Create a friends list by adding to your favorite group feature the go to settings then notification when friends go online and select the friends you want
Turn on your TV
Press the PlayStation button on your DualShock 4 then go to settings, the system then enable HDMI device link
How to play PS4 on laptop with HDMI
Here are some simple methods of converting your laptop into a screen for PS4 gameplay.
Using video card capture
This is a very simple method that you can follow that will allow you to use your laptop as a screen for gameplay with very little effort but you’ll have to dig deeper into your wallet. You’ll need your laptop, internet either wifi or Ethernet, video capture card, PS4, file sharing enabled, HDMI cable.
Steps to follow
- To enable file sharing, on your PS4 menu settings go to network settings then open the internet connection settings to find your router and make sure it’s connected. If you don’t have a wireless connection, you should configure your PS4 and your laptop to the same router using Ethernet cables to allow for seamless streaming between the two devices.
- Connect the video capture card to your laptop using the USB port which will also be an S-video connection. Install the software for the video card to allow it to function properly. Make sure the video card is of high quality.
- Connect your PS4 console to your video card using an S-video connection cable. Then connect the HDMI-IN on the video card and the HDMI-OUT to the PS4.
- Open the application software for the capture card and power up your PS4. The software will search for your PS4 and show it on your laptop screen. Make sure the application is in full-screen mode to allow it to display full resolution.
Now you can configure your laptop to stream gameplay from your PS4 with HDMI easily and with speed.
Using remote play
Remote Play is a streaming service offered by Sony that allows Mac and PC users to enjoy PS4 gameplay on your computer devices. For this to work you’ll need a PS4 system, laptop, internet, USB cable, and a PlayStation Network account. Before streaming the remote play on your laptop, you’ll need an LCD or screen at hand to help you tweak some settings in your PS4 system.
Here are the steps to follow
- Download the latest version of remote play for your laptop either Mac or windows. Then run the installer to start the installation process. If you have more than one PS4 in your home, go to the next step otherwise skip this step.
- If you have more than one PS4, you should activate one of the PS4 to be the primary console. Turn on your PS4 and go to settings then go to Playstation network settings and scroll to account management and click on activate as primary PS4. Also, update your PS4 software to 3.50 by going to the settings then to system software update and manually downloading the latest update.
- Go to settings then to remote play connection settings to enable it. Keep your console on or put it in rest mode to allow you to access the games through on your PC or Mac devices.
- To activate rest mode go to settings then to power save settings then go to set features available in rest mode then confirm if the enable turning on PS4 from the network is ticked to be able to stream your PS4 to your laptop.
- Open the remote play app on your laptop after tweaking the settings in your PS4 then click on the Settings option on the left corner of the app. You can set the resolution to 1080p, choose the frame rate to a high of about 60fps which will consume a lot of your network.
- Use your USB cable to connect the controller to your laptop. Hold down buttons on your controller for share and circular PlayStation till the light bars start flashing, then connect your USB adapter into your laptop and hold it for 3-4 seconds in a pushing position to allow your controller to get paired.
- Click the start option on your remote play app on your laptop to access your PlayStation network. The app will search for your PS4 then you can access your PS4s home screen. You can use the mic and keyboard on your laptop to chat and text type.
- If you want to power off your PS4, press down the PlayStation button on your USB adaptor then on your power settings click on rest mode to terminate the connection stream.
For a gamer, the PS4 is a great source of entertainment and a source of joy at home not forgetting a great way to interact with other gamers.
Does PS4 remote play use a lot of data?
If you’re playing using the internet then remote play will use a lot of your data since your PC will be downloading a lot of data and your PS4 will be uploading a lot of it. At about 5 Mbps, a 30-minute session can use about 9 gigabits.
Can you use PS4 remote play without wifi?
If you’re using remote play at home through your wifi router or direct connection, it doesn’t use the internet. You only use the internet when connecting over the internet when away from home.